Wednesday, June 20, 2007

Successful knitting

Contrary to the title of this post, I haven't had much in the way of knitting success lately. No, in fact, I have been quite unsuccessful. Well, that is overstating it a bit. I consider any knitting to be successful, really. That is one thing that keeps me loving it as a matter of fact. Even a project like the incredibly frustrating Icy Blue Shell teaches me something I didn't know before, and is therefore useful to me. This particular sweater is teaching me that I will have to knit for many more miles before I'll be the knitter that I imagine I want to be someday.

Meanwhile, I have other fish to fry. Icy is in the project bag, waiting for Milly to help me with my stupid gauge. The other fish? A lace scarf from Victorian Lace Today. This is a book published by XRX Books, the Knitting Universe people. You can do lots of fun things on their website, even "thumb" through some of their books.

This is the scarf, but I am afraid it is not working out. (More unsuccessfulness) Here is a picture of what I have so far. Unfortunately for me, the woman at the yarn store talked me into using Cascade 220 for this and it is too heavy.
How do you like that edge? Kind of nice, yes? It slips the stitches so you can pick them up later and knit the middle of the scarf at another angle. Very cool. Those Victorian women were way SMART!

"Hi" to Judy, my first known visitor who commented. Well, the first one that isn't related to me in any way. Except through the knitting "sisterhood", that is. Thanks for visiting, Judy!

Ok, one more little thing before I call it a post.

Yes. That is what you think it is. I found it at a yard sale last Friday and paid $20 for it. The pieces are in the plastic bag behind it. The answer to your other question is "No."

(I don't know how to spin. Heck, I don't even have a sheep.)





1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Just thought I'd say "hi".

Having trouble with the lace, eh? Not my strong suit. But the yarn in the photo definitely does not look like worsted weight; maybe fingering. . . ? What did the book recommend? What gauge/needle size and fiber content?

-Deborah (aka Mt. Mom) of BeautifulKnitting