Friday, June 8, 2007

Ode to My Knitting Needles


O Needles, long and pointy,
How can I help but love you.
On the first day we spent together,
struggling bravely with those first stitches
I knew we would be together forever.

From the smooth, warm bamboo
The cold and strong aluminum,
to the bending, colorful plastic.
From the 14" straights to the unassuming 16" circular
You have been there for me, lo, these past 2 years.

A friend you have been to me
Righting the wrongs in my life,
Giving me courage to face each new day
Standing with me in the fight for justice and goodness

Unbending, strong,
Bravely tackling each pattern as I give you direction
Unquestioning and humble
Size 4's waiting patiently as I finish the scarf on size 11's
Knowing that your turn will come

Thank you sweet Needles, thank you.
You are my calm in the storm of life,
My comfort.
You have been with me in good and bad times,


You have given me hope and courage.
To you I lift my yarn in a sweet salute
And say in the words of our mentor Elizabeth Zimmerman:
"Knit on with confidence and hope, through all crisis"

No comments: